Having good dental hygiene is important for your overall health as well as for your appearance. One of the most common dental procedures performed for a change in appearance is having your teeth whitened. There are tips you and your dentist can follow to get whiter teeth. Here are a few of the most common teeth whitening tips:
- Begin with good general hygiene. Taking good care of your teeth on a daily basis will not only help to prevent cavities or other oral problems, it can be beneficial to keeping your smile looking bright and white. Brushing twice a day and flossing regularly helps to remove food particles and plaque buildup from your teeth. This helps to remove stain causing foods as well as maintain the health of your teeth and gums. Healthy and clean teeth are whiter teeth. Flossing is a vital part of this routine because it helps to remove staining between teeth that often reduce the white appearance.
- In addition to good daily hygiene practices you should be sure to have routine dental checkups and cleanings. Your dentist can help you keep your teeth as white and healthy as possible by ensuring there are no cavities. A dental hygienist will complete a thorough cleaning of your teeth to ensure that there is no plaque buildup or staining that can be cleaned away.
- Avoid foods and activities that can stain your teeth. Smoking, drinking coffee, and even dark foods and drinks such as grape juices and wines can all potentially stain your teeth. If avoiding potentially staining foods is not possible, consider brushing your teeth immediately following eating or drinking them. This will help to prevent the staining materials from sitting long term on your teeth and affecting the whiteness.
- Eat crunchy fruits and veggies. Crunchy fruits and veggies such as apples, carrots, and celery are known to have a natural abrasiveness that can be beneficial in helping to clean your teeth after or between meals. Even popcorn has been shown to have some abrasiveness that can help to keep your teeth whiter when consumed after other foods. For the best benefits from these natural cleaning foods eat them at the end of your meal.
- Another common way to increase the whiteness of your teeth is by chewing gum. Sugar free gum can be another way to clean your teeth between meals. Chewing gum works in a similar way as eating an apple or other crunchy food in that it can help to clean food residue from the surface of your teeth.
- Other things to consider include using baking soda or salt when brushing your teeth as a natural alternative to toothpaste and as an added whitener. When using baking soda or salt it is important to understand that they should not be used on a daily basis and may provide only temporary whitening.
Taking care of your teeth through proper hygiene will help to ensure a healthy and bright smile. For more tips for whiter teeth, contact Oral Health Center for special one-time and multiple use whitening products that will provide more permanent and dramatic results.